Processing Payment Cards from Insurance Payer
If you take insurance in your business, you may find that in some instances, an insurance company may send you a 'credit card' pre-loaded with your reimbursed payment amount (rather than sending you a check or direct deposit). While this is not actually a credit card, you will need to process it as a "payment" using a payment processor to unlock the funds.
This article outlines how you can use your Healthie platform to process these cards, and receive funds that have been given to you by a payer.
Step 1. Locate your client associated with the payment card that you received (Clients > Select Client)
Step 2. Within the client's profile, select "Add New Card" (More info: Add a Client's Credit Card).
- Note: You can keep multiple cards on file for a single client, so adding this card will not replace a client's personal card on file already.
Step 3: Set this payment card as the " Default" card for your client.
Step 4: Navigate to the "Billing" tab of your client's profile > Select "Charge Client." - Charge the amount that you know the card contains. At this point, you will receive funds to your linked bank account in the standard transfer period.
Step 5. Once you receive funds in your account, we suggest that you update your associated CMS 1500 claim(s) to indicate the status "Fully Paid" (or Partially Paid if not fully reimbursed). This will ensure your records are up-to-date. Learn more about adjusting Claim Statuses here.
Step 6. Return to your client's profile, and update their personal payment card to be the default card. This will allow your client to purchase other services through Healthie, and enable you to charge their card for non-insurance services (or client-owed responsibilities).
What should I do if an insurance company sends me one card for multiple clients?
In certain cases, you may find that your insurance company will send you one card with reimbursements for multiple clients, rather than one card with the exact amount for each client. In this case, you have two options to receive reimbursement:
- Follow the steps above for each individual client. The first option is to add the card to each client's profile you are receiving reimbursement for and follow the above steps as usual. Be sure to remove the card from the insurance company and reset your client's default card to their original payment card, in case they want to pay out-of-pocket for any other services.
- Create a "fake" client profile and make the charge from there. Another workaround is to create one client profile to associate with the card from the insurance company. You can add the card to this profile, charge it for the card's balance, and receive the funds without having to add the card to every client's profile. However, you will still need to make manual updates of each client's reimbursement status within Healthie, as listed above.
- Healthie integrates with Stripe as our payment processor, and as a result, can help you directly transfer payments received (either from clients, insurance companies, or elsewhere) to your linked bank account. However, you do not have a personal account from Stripe, so you do not have a login of Stripe via Healthie.
- Funds processed using this method will show up in your Payments Report and Payments Dashboard
- Your client will receive an e-mail notifying them of this transaction / payment. At this time, it is not possible to prevent your client from receiving a receipt. We recommend following up with a note letting them know that you are processing an insurance payment.