Appointment Status: Cancellation, Confirmation, and Rescheduling Settings
Healthie Calendar makes it easy to manage your business's schedule, offer sessions, enable clients to book with you, automate confirmations and reminders, and more. Cancellations and changes to existing appointments are a common part of working with clients, and Healthie's Calendar enables you to easily keep track of changes, by establishing settings such as:
IN THIS ARTICLE:
You as a provider always maintain an ability to cancel and rescheduling your appointments, but you may want to set limits as to what actions your clients can take. These settings are helpful if you want to prevent last-minute changes in your schedule, and/or require your clients to reach out to you to make last minute changes. This will also make it easier to help you enforce cancellation policies.This article walks through the set up and management of these settings.
Accessing Confirmation, Cancellation, and Rescheduling Settings
- Settings (gear icon on top-right of account) > Settings
- Calendar > Appointments > Confirmation and Cancellation
- Click "Edit" (pencil icon)
- Review the available settings, toggle on/off any that you wish > Save
- You can enable or disable "Clients can Cancel Appointments."
- If this setting is turned on, clients are able to cancel appointments that are scheduled with you, regardless of who booked the session.
- If this setting is turned off, clients are unable to cancel appointments that are scheduled with you. If they attempt to cancel, they will be prompted to contact you directly to make changes to their appointment.
- You can set a Cancellation Limit that sets a time from session start within which a client is able to cancel their appointment. For example, if you have a limit of 24 hours before established, then if a client attempts to cancel an appointment within 24 hours of the start time, they will be prompted to reach out to you, but will be unable to cancel.
If you cancel an appointment, your client will receive an e-mail notification that their appointment has been cancelled. CANCEL the appointment, your client will receive an email notification that their appointment has been cancelled. They will see an option to reschedule their appointment, which they can do when logged into Healthie from the desktop or mobile app.
If you APPROVE the appointment, your client will receive an email notification confirming their appointment.
- You can enable or disable "Clients can Reschedule Appointments."
- If this setting is turned on, clients are able to reschedule appointments that are scheduled with you, regardless of who booked the session.
- If this setting is turned off, clients are unable to reschedule appointments that are scheduled with you. If they attempt to reschedule, they will be prompted to contact you directly to make changes to their appointment.
- You can set a Reschedule Limit that sets a time from session start within which a client is able to reschedule their appointment. For example, if you have a limit of 24 hours before established, then if a client attempts to reschedule an appointment within 24 hours of the start time, they will be prompted to reach out to you, but will be unable to reschedule.
- Require Clients to Confirm your Appointments: If this setting is enabled, clients will be prompted to confirm sessions that you book on their behalf. Until they press "Yes" on their end confirming the appointment, Appointment Status will show as "Pending." If this setting is enabled, and clients have NOT confirmed the appointment, they will not receive appointment confirmation and reminder e-mails according to your settings.
- Automatically Confirm Appointments: If this setting is enabled, appointments that are booked by your clients are automatically set as confirmed, and no action is needed on your end to approve, and initiate confirmation and reminder e-mails. If this setting is disabled, you will see appointments as "Pending" until you manually confirm these sessions.
There are three places where you can view Pending Sessions:
1. Navigate to Calendar, and on the left-hand side panel, you'll see "Pending Appointments" - review this list and click "Cancel" or "Confirm
2. Within your Provider Dashboard (on the home page) you can view all upcoming appointments, including a tab for "unconfirmed" appointments. To confirm an appointment here, click on the [...] button, and select Confirm or Cancel.
3. You can filter appointments on your calendar left-hand panel, by confirmation status, by yourself or your client:
Rescheduling or Cancelling an existing appointment
To EDIT/RESCHEDULE an appointment that is already scheduled:
- Navigate to your Calendar within Healthie
- Click the appointment you'd like to edit
- A side panel will appear, click the "Pencil Icon" on the top right.
- Make changes to your appointment and click "Save"
To CANCEL an appointment on your calendar, click on the appointment and then click the "Trash Icon" - when you do this:
- Your client will receive a notification email about the cancellation
- You can either set the appointment status to "Cancelled", in which case it will remain or click the remove button to remove it from your calendar entirely (if you remove it entirely, it will NOT show up in your Reports)
Client cancels or reschedules an appointment
If you DO allow clients to self-cancel and/or self re-schedule, this is what happens when a client cancels an appointment:
- You'll receive a notification email letting you know of the cancellation or reschedule (ensure you've set up your notification e-mails)
- The appointment will remain on your calendar, but will be marked as cancelled or rescheduled. You'll see the appointment in gray (unless you've set up custom color coding on your calendar)
If you'd like to remove the appointment from your calendar completely, Click on the appointment and then click the "Trash Icon”
A confirmation screen will appear, asking you to confirm your decision to cancel the appointment.
View a report of cancelled appointments
It may be valuable to run an analysis of your cancelled reports to see how often clients are cancelling, for example if a particular client is cancelling disproportionally. In this instance, you can pull an Appointments Report for your business.
Note: If you delete an appointment from your calendar, rather than changing the appointment status, the appointment will not be included in any reports you run on your calendar. If you would like data on appointments that were cancelled or no-showed, please be sure to change the appointment status rather than removing it from your calendar.
Create a cancellation policy or fee
Many businesses elect to incorporate a cancellation fee into an intake form, that a client adheres to as part of their initial paperwork of your policies and fees. If a client cancels their appointment, and you have a cancellation policy in place, we recommend charging this client as a one-time fee.
Because of the fact that our providers sometimes make exceptions to their cancellation policy (extenuating circumstance, sick, vacation, or something else), which requires the provider's judgment call, the system does not automatically enforce your cancellation fee in the event of cancellation.
Scheduling best practices
Here are some best practices in using other capabilities within Healthie to optimize your booking process:
- Enable the Notification Setting "Receive notification when client cancels an appointment" so that you are made aware when clients make updates to their appointments with you.
- In your Appointment Confirmation / Reminder E-mails, add text that outlines and reminds your clients what your cancellation policies are, and whether you require them to e-mail, chat, or otherwise communicate with you to cancel or reschedule an appointment.
- Require that clients keep a card on file as part of your intake flow
- Have clients e-sign your cancellation policies prior to a session