Place of Service
Place of Service Codes for Professional Claims
A Place of Service is a field used when completing a CMS 1500 form to submit a claim to insurance. It indicates the location in which the health care service is actually provided. The Place of Service (POS) is a two digit code used on Box #24B to indicate where services are rendered.
This article covers:
- How to enter your Place of Service in Healthie
- Best practices in using Place of Services in your CMS 1500s
- Place of Service Overview and how to use common POS's
How to enter your Place of Service in Healthie
- CMS 1500 > New CMS 1500
- Select "Place of Service" dropdown under "Service Facility"
- Select from the following options provided for your convenience:
- Place of employment / worksite
Best practices in using Place of Services in your CMS 1500s
1. Check with individual payers (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, other private insurance) for their reimbursement policies regarding these codes.
2. Leverage the most common codes: 11 (Office) and 02 (Telehealth) --> when speaking with insurance companies ask for guidelines in using these Places of Services
Place of Service Overview and how to use common POS's
Please review the CMS guide on Place of Service for details on how to use POS for Box 24B