Getting Started: Healthie E-Fax
E-fax continues to be one of the most consistently reliable, HIPAA-compliant and secure ways to transmit client health information between clinicians and across organizations. Healthie's built-in, HIPAA-compliant E-fax makes it easy to:
- Follow-up with physicians, other healthcare providers, therapists, and hospitals: Send chart notes, lab reports, intake forms, and documents following a session related to client care
- Receive referrals and chart note documents: Providers are given their own, unique E-fax phone number that can be shared with other providers & organizations. A physical fax machine is not required.
Healthie's E-fax platform can receive faxes from traditional (physical) fax machines AND other E-fax lines.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Obtaining an E-fax line via Healthie
- Unlimited outbound (sending) faxes are included in all Healthie plans. These faxes are sent from a generic number that cannot receive faxes. At this time, our E-Fax partner allows faxes to be sent to U.S. and Canadian numbers.
- Inbound (receiving) faxes, which require a unique fax line number, is included in Healthie's Practice Plus plan and above. Alternatively, you can purchase an e-fax line for $9.99 / month if you are on another Healthie plan.
To add an inbound fax line to your account:
- Navigate to "Faxing" from the main menu when logged into your Healthie provider account
- Click "Set up Inbound Fax Line"
- Select whether you'd like to choose:
- A new US-based Fax number (typically takes 3-5 days)
- A new fax number with a specific area code
- To transfer your existing fax number to Healthie
If you are on a plan where your fax line is included, you'll be able to request your fax line. If you are on a plan that does not include fax, you'll have the option to either add-on your fax line or upgrade your membership to a plan that includes faxing for free.
Once your fax line is set up, you will see your new fax number within your account, on the faxing page. At that time, you'll be able to receive inbound faxes.
Details about setting up a Unique E-Fax Number
- Requesting a local number with a specific area code usually takes 4-6 weeks to process.
- Porting your existing fax number to Healthie: If you have an existing fax number that you would like to port over, we will make every effort to do so, though we cannot guarantee that this process will be successful, as it depends on your current carrier.
- Depending on the fax carrier you currently use, this process for a port request may take 1-2 months to be completed
- You'll be prompted to provide additional information to transfer your line, including completing a "Letter of Authorization" form and to upload your most recent fax bill (so that we may confirm your carrier/number).
- S-Fax LOA Port Request Form
If you have any questions about transferring/porting your fax line to Healthie, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sending and receiving e-Faxes
Once you have your e-Fax line established, you'll be able to both send and receive faxes electronically through Healthie. All faxes are conveniently managed through the "Faxing" tab in your provider account. You'll see two tabs, one for "Received Faxes" and the other for "Sent Faxes."
Use "Sort by" to arrange your fax list by:
- Date: most recent faxes first
- Date: oldest faxes first
If a fax has been successfully delivered, the status will change to "Delivered." If your fax was unable to send, you'll see a "Failed" indicator and a reason for the failure.
Click the actions tab (three dots) next to the individual fax to reveal the option to "Resend" or "View" the fax.
To send a fax:
- Click the blue "Send Fax" button within the Faxing page.
- Complete the e-Fax form information
- Click "Create" to automatically send your fax
Details included in the e-Fax form, include:
- Recipient information (optional): select a contact that you've previously sent a fax to before, and their information will auto-fill
- Recipient Fax #
- Recipient Name
- Recipient Company
- Choose your PDF or image file to attach (Note: the document which you wish to send, must already be uploaded to your Healthie Documents library)
- Check the box to include a Cover Page -- learn more
- Subject (optional)
- Remarks (optional, you may add any pertinent information if you would prefer)
- Qualifications (your credentials will auto-fill)
- Phone (your phone number will auto-fill)
- Address (your business address will auto-fill)
Within Healthie, you can also send a document or chart note via e-Fax (or with no attachments). This can be done as part of your charting workflow. Learn more
Receiving a fax is simple:
Simply provide your e-Fax number (located at the top-right of the Fax page). Any healthcare provider will be able to fax or e-Fax documents to this number, which will automatically be added within Healthie. You'll receive a notification once an e-Fax has been received.
Click the actions tab (three dots) next to the individual fax > select "View." This will display your fax within Healthie. You may also download the fax as a PDF and add it to a client's documents within their profile. Learn more about receiving faxes here.
Managing and deleting received faxes
Once you receive a fax, you can click the actions tab (three dots) next the fax for a host of options, including:
- View fax
- Make a comment (for your internal records)
- Add to your client's chart as a document
- Add the sender to your Referring Providers list
To delete a received fax from your records:
- Navigate to Faxing > Received Faxes
- Click the actions tab (three dots) next to the fax you'd like to remove
- Select "Delete" from the drop-down menu
Enable notifications when receiving a fax
You can enable notifications for when a fax is received by navigating to:
- Gear icon (top-right of your Healthie account) > Settings > Notifications
- Locate the "Fax" section > select/deselect to indicate your preferences
For organizations, notifications can be enabled/disabled for individual providers.
You can enable fax notifications for organization members by navigating to Organization > Members > Edit > Other Permissions.
Let me know if you have any additional questions about this, happy to assist.