Managing a Failed Client Payment
Healthie has user notifications, a failed payment list, and built-in alerts in the platform to help you manage failed payments from clients, and collect these in a timely and organized way.
When a transaction has failed for any reason, you will be emailed with the error from our payment processor. When a scheduled payment fails, it is not automatically re-tried for that month. You can go in and re-try the payment directly. If the client is on a recurring package, the next payment will still be attempted as scheduled. Once the issue with the card is fixed, you can to Billing > Payments > Charge client, and Charge the client for the amount that should have been processed.
To view all failed payments: Billing > Payments > Click the "Failed" payment button to filter your payments
- There is a status column on the left-hand side, with an indication of whether that payment was successful or failed
- Hovering over the "Failed Payment" icon, will display more details on why the payment failed
- Click the actions tab (three dots) next to the failed payment for action options, including "Retry Payment"
Review card issues
Healthie makes it easy to keep track of important client financial information, including upcoming payments that will fail due to credit card issues. You can see a list of current card issues by navigating to Billing > Payments > Card Issues.
In the Card Issues tab, you can review:
- Any client credit card that has had a failed payment.
- Any client credit card that is set to expire before the next scheduled payment on that card.
- Any client credit card that is expired.
Client credit card is declined
If you attempt to charge a card on file for a client, and you receive a notification indicating the card was declined, these are the reasons as to why this could be the case:
- The card has insufficient funds
- The card has not been activated
- The card has expired
- Bank requires authorization
- "Do not honor" as client has restricted charges from you.
- The client's bank/card company is not recognizing the charge from your services and is flagging the attempt as fraudulent / needs approval (this is increasingly likely as the amount of the charge you are making increases)
If this happens, we recommend that you either have your client use another card to process the transaction or, have your client call his/her card company to authorize the charge. Unfortunately, it's not possible to predict that this decline will happen, at the time of entering a card in. Some providers will do a small "test charge" of $1.00 to confirm that the card on file is valid, as early as possible, in the client onboarding process.
- If a client's transaction has failed, you as the provider will be e-mailed with the error detail from our payment processor.
- Failed payments do not get added to your client's running balance.
- Healthie does not notify your client via e-mail that the card was declined (due to sensitivities that you may want to address individually with your client). Healthie does not automatically re-attempt that charge, so we recommend reaching out to your client to have a failed payment addressed. One option is to do this via Healthie Chat.
- If your client logs into their Healthie portal, they will see their Payments, including a failed payment, within Billing > Payments
You can send this client help article to your client in order for them to update their credit card directly. Alternatively, you can create and send your client an invoice to collect payment for services. They will be able to provide a credit card for payment as they pay their invoice. Learn more about invoices here.