Healthie's Invoicing Platform allows providers to send invoices to clients for specific one-time payment instances, outside of Client Packages.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- When to use an Invoice
- How to create an Invoice
- Group practices: Choosing a Provider for an Invoice
- Request Payments for Client Packages
- Viewing outstanding Invoices
- Marking an Invoice as paid / unpaid
- Deleting an Invoice
- How clients can view and pay Invoices
- Recording partial payments
- Reminders for Invoices
- Invoices for corporations / non-clients
When to use an Invoice
Here are some common use cases for sending an Invoice to your client:
- Client responsibilities from insurance payments outstanding
- Collections that fall outside of a Client Package (e.g., a Cancellation Fee, from which you do not have a credit card on file for a client)
- One-time, ad-hoc payments
- Services rendered for clients that do not have a credit card on file
How to create an Invoice
Navigate to Billing > Payments > Invoices > Create Invoice
You will be prompted to enter information including:
- Date (created)
- To (client name)
- Amount (dollars)
- For (e.g., Description)
- Notes (freeform text entered by provider)
Your Personal Information and Brand will automatically pre-fill into this invoice.
- Your address is pre-populated from your "Organization information" (Settings > Organization)
When you click "Create Invoice" you will be able to see a Preview of this invoice, as it would be shared with your client, and you will then be prompted to share this with your client.
Click the blue-button "Email to < Client Name >" for your client to receive an email notification with a link to pay their invoice.
Group practices: Choosing a provider for an invoice
If you have multiple providers in your business, you can choose which provider should be indicated on an invoice. If you are a part of a multi-provider account, you will see an added dropdown called "Provider"
Select the Provider for whom the Invoice should be related to. By default, if you are a provider creating an invoice, Your Name will show up, but you can change this name
(Note: In order to change the provider associated with an Invoice, you'll need to have the permission "Can see other providers in organization" enabled on your account. Contact your system administrator if you do not see this).
Tying Invoices to "Request Payments" In Client Packages
- When you Request a Payment for a client package, Healthie will automatically create an Invoice for this Request Payment, so that you are able to view the status of the request for easy tracking and management.
- You will, therefore, see outstanding "Request Payments" on your Invoices page
Viewing outstanding invoices within your Healthie portal
- Navigate to Billing > Payments > Invoices
- You will see a list of open and fulfilled Invoices within your portal, as well as options to take actions on your Invoices.
- By default, invoices will be listed with the most recent invoice at the top. You may sort through invoices by clicking the down arrow next to the other column heads (ie. by client, provider type, status or amount)
- Click the 3 dots on the right-hand side of the invoice to see the actions you can take including:
- Preview and Share Invoice
- Send Receipt to Client
- Delete Invoice
Marking an invoice as paid / unpaid
Marking an invoice as paid
If you'd like to mark an invoice as "paid", click on Actions [...] > Mark as Paid. You may want to do this, for example, if someone has paid you outside of the platform, but you'd like clients to stop receiving reminders about this
Marking an invoice as unpaid
If you'd like to mark an invoice as "paid", click on Actions [...] > Mark as Unpaid. You may want to do this, for example, if you accidentally marked an invoice as paid, but you'd like to reverse this action.
Deleting an invoice
There may be instances in which you need to delete an invoice that is showing in your Invoices List. For example, if a client has paid an invoice separately, or if you have created a duplicate.
To delete an invoice, click on Actions [...] > Delete
How clients can view and pay invoices
When you create an invoice for a client, they will receive an e-mail notifying them that they should fulfill their invoice. They will then be prompted with a link to fulfill the invoice, using a payment method on file, or by entering a payment method if none such method exists.
Note: If they have not yet completed all of their required intake forms, they will need to complete these forms prior to seeing their Invoice prompt.
When clients log into their online web portal and navigate to Payments, they will see outstanding invoices and payments to fulfill.
When clients fulfill an invoice, the status of the payment on your dashboard will be updated, and you will receive an e-mail notifying you that the invoice has been fulfilled. Clients will also receive a receipt indicating a summary of their purchase.
Recording partial payments
Healthie's invoices allow you to receive and keep track, of partial payments made for a single invoice.
To record a partial payment:
- Navigate to your client's profile > Billing > Invoices
- Find the invoice you'd like to adjust
- Click the actions tab (three dots) to the right, select "Record Outside Payment" from the drop-down
From the "Record outside payment for invoice" screen:
- Indicate the amount paid + payment date (you will automatically see the remaining balance calculated)
- Select the form of payment (cash, credit card, check, direct deposit, other)
- Make a note for your records (optional)
- Click the blue-button "Record Payment"
On the overview page of your client's invoices, you will now see the invoice status updated to "Partial" and a percentage that is remaining (orange status color).
When the invoice is fully paid, the status will change to "Paid" (green status color).
Note: your client will not receive a new invoice or an email receipt of this payment. They can log into their Healthie Client Portal > Billing to view their invoice, which will be automatically updated to reflect their partial payment (and display their remaining balance).
Reminder e-mail for invoices
If a client has not paid an invoice after 5 days, the client will receive an automatic e-mail reminding them to pay an invoice. They will also see a bar appear at the top of their portal reminding them to pay an invoice.
If you would like to send a client an additional reminder to complete an invoice, we recommend sending them a Chat message.
Invoices for corporations / non-clients
There may be an instance in which you'd like to process a payment for a corporation that is purchasing services on behalf of many clients.
If this is the case, we recommend adding this entity as a "Client" (you can choose to leave the email address field blank, so that they are not notified that you are adding them to Healthie and that they do not receive any intake forms) and then preparing an Invoice for them. You can then download and share this invoice, and coordinate payment, such as credit card, over the phone.
If you would like them to pay electronically, we recommend adding them as a Client, and then Creating a New Group called "Corporation" to bypass any intake forms. Then, you'll be able to prepare an Invoice and request that they log in to fulfill this invoice.
You may then manually add credits to corporate client accounts, so that they are able to book with you, without having to pay for services, as their corporation has likely pre-paid.