Getting Started: Client Payments
Healthie's built-in payment processing system enables you to bill for one-time and recurring needs, that can span services, programs, products, and other offerings that you provide. You are able to apply promotional codes and track the utilization of these codes for marketing and business purposes. You fully customize the Packages and Services offered, including the frequency of recurring payments.
Moreover, you have the ability to charge a client directly for a one-time payment or Client Package, Request a payment, and Create and send invoices for clients to fulfill. Healthie directly links with your bank account for you to receive payments from clients electronically through the platform.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Charge a client or Request Payment for a Package
Healthie enables you to build Client Packages to charge for bundles of services, programs, and other offerings. You are able to apply Promo Codes, and set up one-time and recurring payment options. When you charge a client for a package, they will automatically receive a receipt and confirmation of service purchased.
We recommend using Client Packages to showcase your standard services & offerings, and it is the most common method of collecting client payment via Healthie.
Healthie enables you to directly Charge / Enroll a Client in a Package, or Request Payment for a Package, such that the client is not charged, but rather prompted to Enroll in a Package.
- To Charge a Client for a Package, and subsequently enroll them in your offering, navigate to Billing > Client Package > Charge > Select Client > Enter Promo Code (Optional) > Charge
- To Request Payment for a Package, navigate to Billing > Client Package > Arrow > Request Payment > Select Payment > Select Client > Request. Your client will receive an e-mail prompting them to fulfill this payment request, and when they do, you will receive an e-mail notification of confirmation. Additionally, Healthie's system will automatically create an Invoice for this Payment Request, so that you can easily track outstanding payment requests from your clients, for appropriate follow-up.
If a package is Free, you will not see the ability to Charge or Request Payment. Rather, you will see an "Enroll" button, and will be able to Enroll any client into this Package, regardless of whether they have a card on file with you or not.
Charge a client for a One-Time Payment
There may be an instance in which you'd like to charge a client for a one-time payment, that exists outside of what you've built in Packages. This is commonly used for enforcing cancellation policies, collecting co-pays, etc.
To do this within Healthie, navigate to Billing > Payments > Charge Client > Charge Reason > Enter Amount
The client will receive a confirmation receipt of service purchased. The receipt will indicate the Charge Reason that you entered, as well as the price of what was purchased.
Note: For a Client's name to appear in your Charge Client drop down, he/she must have a card number on file. If you do not have a client's card on file, please first enter the client's billing information by going to their Profile > Actions > Edit Client Info.
There may be an instance in which you'd like to generate an Invoice for a Client to fulfill. Please review Healthie's Invoices Feature for best practices.
Manage failed payments from clients
When a transaction has failed for any reason, you will be emailed with the error from our payment processor. When a scheduled payment fails, it is not automatically re-tried for that month. You can go in and re-try the payment directly. If the client is on a recurring package, the next payment will still be attempted as scheduled. Once the issue with the card is fixed, you can to Billing > Payments > Charge client, and Charge the client for the amount that should have been processed.
Review card issues
Healthie makes it easy to keep track of important client financial information, including upcoming payments that will fail due to credit card issues. You can see a list of current card issues by navigating to Billing > Payments > Card Issues.
In the Card Issues tab, you can review:
- Any client credit card that has had a failed payment.
- Any client credit card that is set to expire before the next scheduled payment on that card.
- Any client credit card that is expired.
Client credit card is declined
If you attempt to charge a card on file for a client, and you receive a notification indicating the card was declined, there are a few reasons why this could be the case:
- The card has insufficient funds
- The card has not been activated
- The card has expired
- Bank requires authorization
- "Do not honor" as client has restricted charges from you.
- The client's bank/card company is not recognizing the charge from your services and is flagging the attempt as fraudulent / needs approval (this is increasingly likely as the amount of the charge you are making increases)
If this happens, we recommend that you either have your client use another card to process the transaction or, have your client call his/her card company to authorize the charge. Unfortunately, it's not possible to predict that this decline will happen, at the time of entering a card in. Some providers will do a small "test charge" of $1.00 to confirm that the card on file is valid, as early as possible, in the client onboarding process.
You can send this client help article to your client in order for them to update their credit card directly. Alternatively, you can create and send your client an invoice to collect payment for services. They will be able to provide a credit card for payment as they pay their invoice. Learn more about invoices here.
Join our Healthie Live Class: Getting Started with Healthie to learn more about setting up your Healthie account and collecting payments via Healthie. Make the most of the Healthie platform with additional free live tutorials, open to all Healthie members.