FAQs: Card payments through Healthie
In Healthie, you can charge clients for packages and services. This is done through our integration with Stripe that connects your business bank account to your Healthie account. Our direct integration with Stripe eliminates the need for any 3rd party logins or payment processors -- you'll be able to accept payments and charge for services right from your Healthie account.
In this guide, we answer common questions to using Healthie for collecting and processing client payments.
If you cannot find the answer to your billing question, please email us at email@example.com. You can also join our weekly LIVE class to review the fundamentals of Healthie's billing features. Time is saved at the end of the class for a Q+A with our Customer Success team. Sign up here.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- What cards can Stripe accept via Healthie?
- What are the credit card transaction fees?
- Are HSA/FSA cards accepted?
- Can the platform's payment processing be used internationally?
- How long does it take for a payment to show up in my bank account?
- How will charges display on my client's credit card statement?
- Are my clients able to cancel a package?
- What billing notifications will my client receive?
- How are refunds managed?
- Does Stripe have a physical card swiper?
- Do I manage a Stripe account separately?
- Will I receive an end of year report (1099-k) of payments for tax purposes?
- How do I charge a client for a package, if I don't see their name appear?
- Can I connect Healthie with my Square account?
- How do I check the status of my payments requested/received?
- Is it possible to add two separate bank accounts to my profile?
- What is an EIN?
- Are ACH / direct bank payments accepted through Healthie?
- Can I split up a client payment into two cards?
- How can I download a transaction list of my payments?
- Can clients purchase packages on the mobile app
- Can I pause recurring payments?
What cards can Stripe accept via Healthie?
The following types of cards can be used (accepted from over 190 countries):
- Credit card
- Debit card
- HSA / FSA card
All major credit card companies, as well as local credit cards, can be accepted through the platform, including American Express, Discover, Visa, Mastercard, and others.
What are the credit card transaction fees?
There is a 2.9% + .30c transaction fee for credit card payments through the platform. This fee is standard across all credit cards (Amex, Discover, Visa, Mastercard). The platform integrates with Stripe, which is Level 1 PCI - compliant.
When using Stripe via Healthie's direct integration, you'll receive a lower than normal Stripe rate. Our integration prevents Stripe from charging some of their additional fees, namely, refund frees. With Stripe directly, you do not get fees returned to you when you issue a refund. Additionally, you are not charged for international cards, and fraud protection.
For this reason, we are unable to negotiate Stripe processing fees for our members. If you have any additional questions, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are HSA/FSA cards accepted?
Yes, HSA/FSA cards can be treated just like credit cards. Health Reimbursement Accounts and Flexible Spending Account cards can be treated just like credit cards through the billing platform. Stripe's standard processing fees of 2.9% + $0.30 will apply as normal. Please go to Billing > Client Packages and process these as you would a normal credit / debit card.
About HSA & FSAs:
- A FSA Debit Card is a special type of debit card issued in the United States to access tax-favored spending accounts such as flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health reimbursement accounts (HRA), and sometimes health savings accounts (HSA) as well.
- Clients that have high-deductible health insurance plans will typically have HSA accounts. In this case, clients will use their HSA to pay towards their deductible (out-of-pocket payment required before insurance starts covering healthcare expenses). On top of this, a client may add additional dollars to their HSA for more planned healthcare spending, to save on post-tax expenses.
Note: There are several reasons why your client's HSA/FSA cards are declined, including:
- Insufficient Funds
- Funds have Expired / do not roll over
- Card has not been activated / set up by the client for utilization
- Some HSA/FSA cards only cover limited types of medical care, and your service, based on your unique medical merchant code, is not covered by the card provider.
If an HSA/FSA card is declined:
- We recommend reaching out to your client, to ensure that their card has been activated and has funds that are eligible to be utilized.
- If your client's HSA/FSA has been declined, you may want to send them an invoice through Healthie. Clients can print their invoice and submit it to their HSA/FSA provider for possible direct reimbursement.
- Be sure the MCC code is correct and qualifies for the payment to go through.
- You can also visit our blog post to read more about accepting HSA/FSA cards in your practice.
Can the platform's payment processing be used internationally?
Yes, the payment processing can accept credit cards from over 192 countries and you can hold a bank account in any country that Stripe supports.
How long does it take for a payment to show up in my bank account?
Payments will appear in your bank account within 3-5 business days. This time frame extends to your first payment received through Healthie.
Please note: holidays do not count as a business day.
How will charges display on my client's credit card statement?
Charges on your client's credit cards for payments made through Healthie will show up as your Brand Name. For example, if your Brand Name is "My Business Name" your client will see a charge for "My Business Name"
Are my clients able to cancel a package?
Clients are not able to cancel a package they have purchased from you on their own, they will need to contact you, and you can cancel their membership in a package. This allows you to be fully aware of clients who wish to cancel services and to enforce any cancellation policies you have in place.
What billing notifications will my client receive?
Your client will receive an email notification when they make a payment (or when you request payment) through the Healthie platform. Additionally, they will be able to log into their client portal (from a web browser) and click on Billing > Payments to see their history of transactions.
How are refunds managed?
If you refund a client within the platform, the refund will post on the client's method of payment within 5-10 business days. Clients receive the full amount of the payment refunded, and you are not responsible for payment processing fees on refunded payments.
Does Stripe have a physical card swiper?
No. Please enter card numbers manually, within a client's profile. Numbers are then stored securely within the system. Healthie is PCI compliant which means that there are security measures designed to ensure a secure environment for transmitted credit card information. You can read more about Healthie's security here.
Do I manage a Stripe account separately?
Our direct integration with Stripe eliminates the need for any 3rd party logins or payment processors -- you'll be able to accept payments and charge for services right from your Healthie account, and you do not need to manage a Stripe account separately. This also means that you are able to get set up with accepting payments immediately upon creating your Healthie account.
As part of our relationship with Stripe, you do not maintain a log in to Stripe, as Healthie handles that relationship on your behalf.
If you are interested in opening up a Stripe account for other uses in your business, we recommend reaching out to Stripe directly to get set up.
Will I receive an end of year report (1099-k) of payments for tax purposes?
For those who require a 1099-K (processed more than $20,000 AND had more than 200 transactions), Healthie will automatically mail a 1099-K and e-file it with the IRS.
These are charges made in Healthie via our payment processor. Your 1099 via Healthie will not include CMS 1500 claims created/submitted, as well as payments / checks that you received from clients outside of the platform.
Here is some information on what the 1099-k calculations include.
If you have had a chance of address or change of business structure in a calendar year, please e-mail email@example.com, and we will help you with modifications to your 1099, as we have updates from Stripe, our payment processor.
How do I charge a client for a package, if I don't see their name appear?
You can directly charge a client for a package through the Healthie platform. Review this billing article to ensure that you've taken the right steps to charge a client. If you do not see a client's name appear from the drop-down, it is likely that your client does not have a credit card on file. Please go to their Profile > Overview > Billing and add a card number. You may want to consider making the "Billing Info" form a required step in your intake flow to ensure every client puts a credit card on file.
Can I connect Healthie with my Square account?
At this time, Healthie cannot connect with your existing Square account. You actually will not need to manage a separate Square or Stripe account, with our integrated payments system. You can link your bank account with Healthie directly, and receive payments directly.
How do I check the status of my payments requested/received?
Navigate to Billing > Payments > Transfers
- You will see the recent deposits to your bank account.
- Available (green) means that money has been deposited in your bank account
- Pending (yellow) means that money has in process of being deposited into your bank account
Is it possible to add two separate bank accounts to my profile?
Within Healthie, payments that are received from clients will automatically transfer into the bank account that you have set up on profile (ie. your business bank account).
If you are part of a group practice and you would like to have multiple bank accounts associated with your Healthie profile, e-mail us for assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is an EIN?
When you set up payment processing in Healthie, you will need to enter your bank account information. The system requests things like your business EIN, social security number, address, etc.
An EIN is like a "company social security number" (compared to your individual social security number). If you are a sole proprietor, you may be okay entering your personal SSN, but when you create an LLC or Corporation, you will get an EIN number. If you have a corporate bank account you will want to get an EIN instead.
Are ACH / direct bank payments accepted through Healthie?
Yes, here is some information on accepting ACH payments via Healthie.
Can I split up a client payment into two cards?
Yes, You will need to take the following steps, if a client would like to pay on multiple cards:
- Enter the first method of payment for a client
- Charge client for the amount that would like to be applied to first card
- Update the payment method on file for a client
- Charge client for the amount that would like to be applied to second card
You are able to store multiple cards on file for a client, and also indicate a default, and whether the card is HSA/FSA versus a personal card.
What is the minimum fee for a charge via Healthie?
There may be instances in which you'd like to have a small charge. This may be used as a test charge, and / or to confirm that a client's card details are correct. We recommend using a test charge between $1 - $5.
How can I download a transaction list of my payments?
You can download a Payments Report here
Can Clients Purchase Packages on the Mobile App?
Healthie does not currently offer direct payments / invoice features on the mobile apps, as in accordance with App Store policies, Apple and Google App Stores would take up to 30% of payments processed from within the mobile app.
If a client has an outstanding invoice, they may receive e-mail reminders and/or in-app prompts reminding them to complete this invoice. Invoices do not currently show up within Healthie's native web and mobile apps.
If a client receives an e-mail to pay an invoice, and accesses this e-mail from their phone or tablet, clicking on a link to pay invoice will open up in a web browser window, and the client will be able to pay their invoice from the device.
We will update this post if payments via the mobile app becomes possible.
Can I pause recurring payments?
To pause a recurring payment, navigate to your Payments tab, locate the recurring payment, click the menu and select “Pause Automatic Payments.” Recurring payments are marked by the clock icon so they can be distinguished from one-time payments. Payments can be manually resumed at any time, by revisiting the Payments tab and locating the payment, and selecting “Restart Automatic Payments.”
To fully cancel a recurring payment, navigate to the Payments tab once again, and select “Stop Automatic Payments” from the dropdown menu.
If the above questions did not answer your billing question, please email us at email@example.com.
You can also join our weekly LIVE class to review the fundamentals of Healthie's billing features. Time is saved at the end of the class for a Q+A with our Customer Success team. Sign up here.