Getting Started: Healthie Chat
Healthie's chat feature enables you to securely message and communicate with your clients, from within the web platform, and through the mobile apps. With Healthie's chat feature, you can message your clients one-on-one, create group chats, send message blasts, and even message other wellness providers in your organization. This is a powerful way to stay engaged with clients in between sessions, as well as securely discuss health information. Many providers also use the Chat platform to discuss appointment logistics, as it is often faster than e-mail and/or phone conversations back and forth.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- Accessing Chat feature
- Starting a new conversation (single, community, or message blast)
- Editing & deleting existing conversation threads
- Archiving a conversation
- Disable individual and/or community chat notifications
- Advanced functionality: Healthie chat feature
- Automatic Welcome Message
- Turning chat off (disabling chat)
- Additional resources
Accessing Chat feature
Select the Chat tab from the main Healthie dashboard on the left-hand side of your screen. Your most recent chat conversation will appear. To switch to another conversation, click on the message in the side panel.
Select the "Chat bubble" icon on the bottom menu of your mobile device (iOS or Android) to view and send messages.
Starting a new conversation (single or group conversation)
Creating a new chat is easy within Healthie, and can be done from within your Healthie portal on web, or through the mobile app. You can create a one-to-one or Community Chat (group chat), as well as send a message blast within Healthie.
To start a chat with a single client (from the web browser)
- Click "New" and search for your client.
- Click their name to select them.
- Click the "Start Conversation" button > type your message and hit "Send"
To start a chat with multiple clients or a group (from the web browser)
To add another client or group, scroll through your list of groups or clients, or use the search bar to search by name. Click the name. When multiple clients are selected, you'll have the option to send a Community Chat or Message Blast.
You can locate all of your chat messages in the "Chat" tab of Healthie. Use the "Search Conversations" feature at the top-left to quickly locate any chat.
- Groups with no members will not appear in your dropdown of options.
- If you have chat enabled with a client, they will be able to start a conversation with you. Clients will NOT be able to start a message blast or community chat. To contribute to a community (group) chat, the must already be added to the conversation by their wellness provider.
- If you create a group conversation, clients will know that there are other clients in a conversation. They will see each others' initials, not full names. Before creating a group conversation with multiple clients, please confirm that you are comfortable with this, and let clients know accordingly.
- By default, all new conversations are titled with your client's name. You can edit the conversation title at any time for your internal workflows and organization. Think of conversation titles like subject lines in emails.
- Once a chat message has been sent, providers have the ability to see an indicator of whether the recipient of their chat message has 'seen' it (Note: Clients will NOT see this notification at this time. Only providers will be able to see if clients/recipients have viewed their message). You will see an "eye' icon next to the chat message when your client has seen it.
- You can automatically send a welcome message to new clients. Learn how here.
All of your existing conversations will appear in the Chat section of Healthie, from the web browser or Healthie mobile app.
Unread conversations are easy to identify, the text of these conversations will be entirely in bold, and they will also have a blue indicator next to them. Once you click on the conversation, it is automatically marked as "read," the blue indicator will disappear and the subject text line will no longer be bolded.
When you send a chat message to a client (or team member), they'll receive a notification & email that they've received a new message. The email message will prompt them to log into Healthie from the web or Healthie mobile app to read (and respond) to the message.
As a provider, you'll see an indicator noting when your client has "seen" your message.
Editing an existing conversation
Add or remove members from your conversation following these instructions:
- Click on the desired conversation (you can also filter by community chat or 1x1)
- On the right side you can see all members of the community chat and add/remove participants:
- To add a member to the conversation, select their name from the scrollable list or start typing their name to select the client you wish to add. A pop-up notification will appear to confirm that you want to add the participant to the conversation before making the change.
Note: Members removed from a conversation are completely removed, meaning they won’t have access to new messages or old messages. Only providers can edit a conversation.
To DELETE a sent message:
From a web browser, open a chat conversation, hover over a sent message, you'll see a small trash icon appear. Click the icon. From the provider perspective, you'll see a confirmation that the message has been deleted. Your client will not see this message. If you wish to delete an entire thread, we suggest that you archive the thread. Clients cannot delete a chat message.
Archiving a conversation
Archive or hide chat conversation that no longer need a response.
- Click on the conversation you no longer would like to see on the list of conversations
- On the right side, you will see the "Archive" icon in the right-hand panel in your chat conversation. If you do not see "archive" in the side panel, then you may need to scroll down (there is a scroll bar to the right of the menu). Archiving a conversation does NOT delete the conversation. Your data will be saved, and you will have the ability to retrieve it if needed. Accessing archived conversations
You can access all Archived conversations within your chat inbox.
- Go to your chat inbox from the web browser
- Click the drop-down arrow under "Visibility"
- Choose "Archived Conversations"
You'll now be viewing all archived conversations. If you are viewing ALL conversations within your chat inbox, you can also search by a client's name. Both active and archived conversations will be displayed.
Unarchiving a conversation
When you open an archived conversation, the right-hand side panel will now have an "Unarchive Conversation" button. Simply click this button and your conversation will be restored as an active conversation.
Disable chat notifications
By default, the Healthie provider who organized an individual or community chat will receive a notification every time there is a new entry within the chat. If you prefer to not be notified, you can disable chat notifications for individual and/or community chats for your account.
Navigate to the settings wheel on the top right of your account > Select Settings
From the left-hand panel, click on "Settings"
Here's you'll find a list of all notification settings within Healthie, with the ability to enable/disable email and/or push notifications. Simply deselect any notifications you do not wish to receive.
Advanced functionality of Healthie's Chat feature
Quickly find a conversation by searching for it in the search box. You can search by the name of the conversations or by the members in a conversation.
Start a Video Meeting
You can start a video meeting from a one on one conversation with a client by clicking the video chat button on the top right. Only providers can initiate a video meeting.
Chat Menu Bar
Send an Image or Video
There may be instances in which you would like to share images and videos with your clients, and you are able to do this within Healthie's chat feature (as well as within the Documents feature). To send an image or video within a conversation, click the image icon on the bottom right then select an image or video.
File types supported include: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif .mp4 format; mp4
Send a Link
To send a link, click on the link icon and type in the link you would like to open and a display text. (Display text on top actual link on button) (All actual links must begin with “http://”, the display name can be anything.
Send a Video
To send a video click on the video icon then type in a Youtube, Vimeo, Vine, DailyMotion or Youku URL. Click the insert video button, then send. The video can be viewed right from the chat page!
Create an Ordered List
To create an ordered list click the list button and start typing. Press enter/return when you ready for the next item in your list. When your list is complete press Send.
Add an additional client or organization member to an existing chat.
Create an automatic welcome Chat message
Personalize your client's onboarding experience by enabling an automatic welcome message. This chat message will appear to clients when they first log into their Healthie platform, encouraging them to use Healthie Chat as a direct way to communicate with their provider. Add your own custom text to this message. Learn how
Turning chat off (disabling chat)
There may be instances in which you'd like to Disable Chat for all, some, or specific clients, examples of which could include:
- You'd like this to be a part of a concierge program available to select clients
- You'd like to reserve communication with clients for during a session, not in between
- You have a client that is abusing your standard communication policies
You can do this within Healthie within the "Journal Entries" settings. These settings can be adjusted on the global, group, or individual client level. Learn how to adjust the settings here.
There are two setting features related to disabling chat:
Allow direct messaging: if unchecked, client will retain access to previous one-on-one conversations, but client will not be able to send any new one-one-one conversations.
Allow Community Chat participation: if unchecked, client will retain access to any previous Community Chat conversations, but the client will not be able to send new messages in the Community Chat conversation.
When chat is disabled for a client, this is the message that they will see within the chat area:
Note: when chat is disabled for your client, they will not receive any message blasts that you send. Before sending the message, you will see a notification that that "Chat is unavailable for [client name]" or the client's name will be gray/crossed-out. If you want to reactivate chat for the client, you can go back into their client settings and update the chat preferences.
This brief overview video walks through the core features of Healthie Chat, including your client's experience with chat -- both from the web browser and the Healthie mobile app.
Prefer to learn live?
Join a Healthie Live Class to learn more about setting up your Healthie account and engaging with clients. Make the most of the Healthie platform with these free live tutorials, open to all Healthie members.