Nutrient Tracking in Healthie
Nutrient Tracking is an optional setting that you can enable within Healthie Journaling that will enable your clients to log nutrient data leveraging the Edamam Food Database. You as a healthcare professional will be able to view this data (calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients) within your Client's Portal.
When this setting is turned on for your clients, clients will have the ability to:
- Search for, and log, specific food items from our internal food database (both from the web and Healthie mobile app)
- View macronutrient and key micronutrient data
- View overall calories consumed per journal entry, and total calories consumed per day as part of Journal Entries
If you prefer that your client NOT be able to log meals with nutritional data, you can simply disable (or keep disabled) this journaling setting. You can fully customize your client's journaling experience (for food, and other journaling tasks like tracking water intake, symptoms, exercise, and more).
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Enable Nutrient Tracking for a Client
Follow the steps here to turn on this optional food journaling for your client.
Once logged into their Client Portal from the Healthie app or web browser, clients will see a Food icon on their dashboard. Clicking the icon will allow clients to:
Every food item in the database displays corresponding calories & macronutrient data. All nutritional information is sourced from the Edamam's Food Database, which includes over 900,000 foods. As a client adjusts the serving size of a food item, the nutrition details will automatically update as well.
If your client logs several food items in a single entry, the nutrition data will update to be cumulative for the meal.
- Total calories
- Total carbohydrates (g)
- Dietary Fiber (g)
- Total Sugars (g)
- Total protein (g)
- Total fat (g)
- Saturated fat (g)
- Trans fat (g)
- Polyunsaturated fat (g)
- Monounsaturated fat (g)
- Cholesterol (mg)
- Vitamin A (mcg)
- Vitamin C (mg)
- Vitamin D (D2+D3) (mcg)
- Calcium (mg)
- Iron (mg)
- Potassium (mg)
- Sodium (mg)
Reviewing Client Food Entries
Logged client entries can be reviewed on your Dashboard > Journal, or by going to your Client's Profile > Journaling.
On a high level, providers are able to see the total number of calories, protein, carbs, and fat for your client's logged entry. If there were multiple food items logged within that entry, then the nutrient data is cumulative for all of the items.
Clicking Show Details on the entry will review a breakdown of the included food items, and nutrition data per food item
To provide real-time feedback for clients, providers are able to comment or use a "quick reaction" for the entry. Clients are notified when a provider engages on their post, and can respond with additional comments as needed.
Healthie's Journaling feature creates a secure way for providers and clients to work together, and allows providers to deliver support and education in real-time.
Nutrition Summary View
Providers can also review a Nutrition Summary for each day within a selected time-period (ie. past 30 days). You must be logged into Healthie from the web browser to view a nutrition summary view.
- Navigate to your Client's Profile > Journal > Summary
- Click the "Change Date" button to adjust the date range
Note: the Summary view will only include food journal entries that were logged by clients using the nutrition database. The Summary view is currently not available for other journaling features (ie. Metrics)
Here's an example of a one-day Summary view. From this view, providers are able to review:
- A listing of every meal logged in the day
- A breakdown of the food items & portion sizes included within each entry
- Total calories, protein, carbs, and fat for each entry
- Cumulative total of all nutrients for the day
- Data showing the macronutrient breakdown for the day
- Total (g) of carbs, protein, and fats
- Percentage of daily calories attributed to carbs, protein, and fats
Viewing Data Results on a Graph
Within your client's profile, you will find relevant data from both the "Journaling" tab (including the Nutrition Summary outlined above) as well as the "Metrics" tab.
From the Metrics tab, both providers & clients will find a nutrition graph that will help with the analysis of Macronutrient Split, Total Calories, Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat.
To access this data:
- Navigate to your client's profile > Metrics tab
- Scroll down to the "Nutrition" graph
- Use the "Date Picker" on the TOP of the page to adjust the time period that you would like to view data for. Less than 11 days worth of data will show as a bar graph. Data from a longer period of time will show as a line graph.
- Use the drop-down menu within the graph to see:
- Overall calories and macronutrient split (protein, carbs, fat)
- Individual data for protein
- Individual data for carbs
- Individual data for fat
The purpose of these graphs is to give you (and your client) insights into trends, based on their overall calorie & macronutrient intake. Please note: if your client has not logged any meals with nutrient data (ie. they only used the food journaling tool), there will be no data to show here. Data only populates for days that your client logged a meal with nutrient details.
Questions or feedback? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eating Disorder Settings for Nutrient Tracking
At this time, Healthie does not have the capability to hide the calories from a client. We hope to make these updates in the future to accommodate providers working with eating disorder clients within Healthie.
Read more on other Eating Disorder settings within Healthie here.
We have planned a series of updates to this feature and will update this post as these become available. These include:
- Barcode scanner for clients, when logging meals from the mobile app
- Target setting for calories and macronutrients
Have feedback? Please e-mail email@example.com